Monday, November 17, 2008

Tommy's Headaches

I am not sure if I have mentioned it here before, but Tommy has been to doctors and had tests to see what is causing his headaches. 5 year olds shouldn't be getting headaches. One of them (the scariest) happened when we went on a date together. You can read it here. That was the one that made up snap our eyes open.

Since then, he has had an MRI. Thankfully it came back clear. Little by little we are trying to figure out why he is getting them now.

He has asthma and since he is sick all winter long, they have put him on Flovent. Which is a maintenance inhaler everyday. He has not had one headache since being on it. Hmmmmm......

Today we are getting his eyes looked at. He has complained about his eyes. He flunked the eye exam last year. We went to an Optometrist who said he may need glasses before he hits Kindergarten. 2 weeks ago, Tommy said to me "Mom, I think I need to see the DR again. Sometimes I can't see good and my eyes feel funny." So today we are going to see a Pediatric Ophthalmologist. I had no idea there were 2 different kinds of eye Dr's. The Ophthalmologist has a medical degree, a Optometrist doesn't. **that is your lesson for the day!**

We will see what today brings. If it is glasses he needs and that is the cause, I will be so happy. It is so frustrating to see your child go through all this and not have the answer.

2 comments:

DiPaola Momma said...

Oh, I'll be thinking of Tommy all day. Our soon-to-be 4 year old son Peter wears glasses. We learned the hard way about Ophtha vs Opto. His eye turned in every now and then (we noticed at about 14 months old). We went to an Opto and were told "oh it's nothing it will strengthen". Our Ped Dr sent us to an Ophtha and we spent 3 hellish weeks thinking he might have a brain disorder called Horners Syndrome. THANK GOD that wasn't the case! He just has a weeker eye and the Dr thinks with glasses for a few years it will self correct. I was thinking about your son's headaches paired with Asthma. Have you had him checked for allergies? My 9 year old has very bad seasonal alergies that we had always been told where due to Athsma. Turns out she is a 'conditional' athsmatic and the alergies are the trigger for attack and .... get this HEADACHES! Good luck please post to let us know how it goes.

Karla said...

I hope you get an answer!!!